There is something sensory about a vinyl record that digital music will never replicate. Vinyl creates a complete digital waveform, and even though the experts say the human ear cannot differentiate between a complete and a sampled waveform, many people contend you can feel the difference. But vinyl has advantages beyond the quality of the music. Album covers are emblematic pieces of art that provide a structure to the memories of the greatest moments of your life. If you’re thinking of joining the growing trend of returning to vinyl, this article will help you find the best automatic turntable.
1. What Is the Best Automatic Turntable for You?
To answer that question you need to assess your listening needs. If you are an extreme audiophile that demands perfection in every aspect of your musical experience, then no price is too great to consider to achieve the perfect sound. Most turntables are equipped to play 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records, but only a few will play 78. Also, some turntables come with a built-in pre-amp and are Bluetooth capable, while others require you to invest in pre-amps and even cartridges. Assess your listening needs and determine what features and price point are most important to you.
2. What Does 33 1/3, 45, and 78 Mean?
Those numbers represent the rotations per minute the record must spin at to achieve the proper sound. If the record spins too fast, it sounds like the chipmunks and if it spins too slow the sound is elongated and distorted. Records exist with other RPM speeds, but 33 1/3, 45 and 78 are the most common. One of the most important things to consider with your turntable is a consistent play speed because any variation in speed results in a distorted sound.
3. What Is a Cartridge?
The cartridge is the needle that runs through the groove of the record to pick up vibrations and create the sound. Superior cartridges can greatly enhance the quality of the sound you get from your turntable. On most of the best automatic turntables, it’s easy to swap out the cartridge for a new or better one. The very best automatic turntables require that you purchase a cartridge separately.
4. How Many Grooves Are There on a Record??
Ask this question to your niece or nephew as a way of getting them interested in the allure of vinyl. You’ll blow their mind when you reveal that there is only a single grove pressed into the record, which the needle follows all the way from the edge to the center. In a digital age of computing where information travels on beams of light in fiber optic cables beneath the ocean, a simple, single groove on a record harkens back to a simpler age.
We reviewed the products in our best automatic turntable survey on a number of features. Price and sound quality were the first considerations. After that we considered the consistency of the unit’s rotation. We found that some less expensive models required fine tuning to get the rotation speed correct, and the belt operated turntables required a break-in period before they would achieve peak performance. We considered the overall aesthetic and style of each unit and operational ease. We provided a list of pros and cons for each product in our best automatic turntable list with further considerations.
RELATED READS: Best Laptop for Recording Music
You can spend as much as you want on audio equipment. The more expensive equipment has a more consistent sound and durability. However, there is a price point of diminishing returns. All the turntables in our best automatic turntable survey were pleasing to listen to. The more expensive models featured 78 RPM capability, greater overall stability, and consistent motors.
- Audio-Technica AT-LP3BK Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable
- Denon DP-300F Fully Automatic Analog Turntable
- Marantz TT42 Fully Automatic Belt Drive Turntable
- Fluance Elite High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable
- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable
- Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-BK Fully Automatic Bluetooth Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable
- THORENS TD 170-1B TURNTABLE
- Sony PS-LX310BT Belt Drive Turntable
- Clearaudio Concept 3-Speed Turntable
- REGA – Planar 1 Turntable
- Take your analog listening experience to the next level with advanced features not typically found on automatic turntables
- Balanced straight tone arm comes with a 1/2" mount universal headshell and AT91R Dual Moving Magnet phono cartridge, giving you excellent high-fidelity performance
- Hydraulically damped lift control allows the stylus to be precisely and safely lowered and raised at any point on a record
- Offers fully automatic operation; simply press the Start button to begin play and the Stop button to lift and return the tone arm and shut off the turntable
- Constructed of anti-vibration damping materials that limits low-frequency feedback
The Audio-Technica AT-LP3BK is a very modern looking, fully automatic, belt driven turntable made from dampening materials that limit vibrations. The hydraulically damped lift control allows the stylus to be lowered with minimal risk of scratching. The head shell fits a 1/2 inch mount cartridge and allows users to upgrade with ease. The device comes with an AT91R moving magnet cartridge. This turntable will play both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records. This is a nice looking, effective turntable that will bring new life to your old records.
- Modern look
- Good dampening features
- Easy to use mount cartridge
- Runs silent
- Speed might need adjustment
- Belt will stretch when first used
- REDISCOVER YOUR PASSION FOR VINYL -Listen to your analog music in a brand new way with this rigid diecast aluminum turntable that comes with standard mount headshell, MM Cartridge, DC servo motor, and has rotation speeds of 33 1/3 or 45 rpm
- LOWER VIBRATIONS DRIVE BETTER PERFORMANCE - This slim and sleek turntable is designed with a heavier base construction that helps decrease vibrations, giving you a noiseless, rich and detailed sound
- SMOOTH & GENTLE AUTOMATIC MOTIONS - The automatic startup feature allows the turntable to begin play. With the touch of a button, the tonearm gets lifted and comes to rest so smoothly ensuring no scratches or damages to your records
- Built-in phono equalizer creates an open, enveloping sound stage that enlivens your vinyl collection while staying true to the original recording. Connect it directly to a mini component or integrated amp that lacks a phono terminal for seamless use
- EASY INSTALLATION & SETUP - Assemble the turntable, set it up in your living room or home theater with simple connections and start listening to your old or new records almost instantly
The Denon DP-300F is a solid automatic turntable that features a heavy base construction to prevent vibrations. The removable head shell on the tonearm makes cartridge replacement easy. The turntable is belt driven so you might experience some variation in speed, especially early in use until the belt has been broken in. The heavy base of this turntable is effective at reducing vibrations. This turntable will play 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records.
- Solid base limits vibrations
- Attractive overall design
- Fully automatic
- Preamp that can be turned on or of
- Speed variation
- Denon has motor problems with other units
- Fully automatic
- Dc servo belt drive
- Moving magnet cartridge
- Transparent dust cover
The Marantz TT42 comes with an automatic turntable and is equipped with a DC servo belt drive that is silent and produces consistent rotational speed. The unit is loaded with per-installed features that make it convenient and easy to use. The transparent dust cover is easily removed for more convenient play and usage. Marantz offers a comprehensive 3-year warranty, so this is a purchase you can make with peace of mind. The model will play 33 1/3 and 45. There Marantz does not have a built in phono pre-amp.
- Removable dust cover
- Pre-installed features
- Fully automatic
- Three-year warranty
- No phono pre-amp
- Old fashion box design
Fluance RT81 Elite High Fidelity
- PURE ANALOG LISTENING EXPERIENCE - Premium components allow this high fidelity belt driven turntable to recreate the performance the way the artist intended
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CARTRIDGE - The Audio Technica AT95E featuring a diamond elliptical tipped stylus is designed to track your record grooves with greater precision & accuracy for high definition audio
- SUPERIOR RECORD TRACKING - Enjoy perfect playback using the balanced aluminum S-Type tonearm ensuring the stylus is rested deep in your record's groove, producing every audio detail indistinguishable from the original recording
- SOLID WOOD PLINTH - The beautiful walnut finished cabinet is crafted from solid engineered (MDF) wood, incorporates isolation feet, an aluminum platter and a rubber slip mat which results in superior isolation from unwanted vibrations
- CAPTIVATING SIGNAL CLARITY - Incorporating a high quality built-in Texas Instruments preamp, ground terminal and gold plated RCA line outputs that ensures warm, true sound
The Fluance elite high fidelity turntable is an attractive-looking unit featuring a belt drive, built-in preamp, and an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge. The base is made from solid wood and not only is effective at absorbing vibrations, but it also looks fantastic. The unit features a removable dust cover that makes it easy to swap out records when you’re entertaining. Available in piano black or walnut, you can choose the turntable that best matches the décor of your music room. Consistent playing speeds and a two-year warranty make the Fluance an easy purchase.
- Attractive wood base
- Available in two different colors
- Lifetime warranty
- Consistent playing speeds
- Built-in preamp
- Some speed adjustment required
- Arm does not return automatically
- 8.6" carbon tonearm
- Pro-Ject Speed Box Built-in
- Plays 33, 45 and 78RPM (78RPM with belt change)
- Heavy non-resonant acrylic platter
- Precision belt drive with synchronous motor
This turntable has such a minimalist design you could call it the iPod of turntables. A very clean and glossy surface features only the 8.6 inch tonearm and the hefty platter. This unit is available in green, blue, piano black, purple, silver, gloss white, red, walnut and yellow. All the colors are bright and fantastic, so this turntable looks great even when not in use. The tonearm is carbon fiber to reduce vibrations, and the low-noise motor and stable isolation feet ensure high-quality play.
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Attractive, modern design
- Carbon fiber tonearm
- Good sound
- Difficult to assemble and adjust
- No auto return
- No dust cover
- High fidelity audio with bluetooth wireless technology
- Connects wirelessly to speakers and other devices equipped with bluetooth wireless technology or to wired audio systems and powered speakers via included dual RCA output cable
- Compatible with aptX codec. Compatible Bluetooth Profile - A2DP.Signal-to-Noise Ratio > 50 dB (DIN-B)
- Fully automatic operation with two speeds: 33 1/3 and 45 RPM
- Anti resonance, die cast aluminum platter
The Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-BK has Bluetooth capability which is convenient for hooking it up to speakers. The design features the platter, tonearm, and two switches on the horizontal surface as well as three buttons across the front. This is an ideal turntable for individuals who do not like to have to search around for a remote control to operate the unit. The platter is made from die-cast aluminum and is anti-resonance. The unit is available in black, white and red.
- Anti-resonance aluminum platter
- Available in three colors
- Bluetooth capable
- Fully automatic
- Variation in rotation speeds
- Only a one-year warranty
THORENS TD 170-1B
- ot just for beginners Rediscover the timeless sound of vinyl with the Thorens TD170–1 fully automatic three speed turntable. Play your favorite records right away without worrying about alignment. Not just for beginners, the TD 170–1 comes equipped with three speeds so you can also play shellac records at 78 rpm, though the special stylus/cartridge needed is available separately. Relive your childhood or entertain guests with your favorite collection of vinyl records with ease when you use the TD170–1.
- The well crafted, fully automatic TD 170–1 Phono comes equipped with three speeds so it can also play shellac records at 78 rpm (the special stylus/cartridge required is available separately). Equipped with a built–in phono pre–amp TD 170–1 Phono amplifies the turntables signal and connects to recivers and amplifiers that would not have a phono input. Owing to its truly easy operation, you can start playing your records right away without having to waste time with finicky alignment work. The fun with analogue music starts here!
- Spanish (Publication Language)
The Thorens TD 170-1B turntable is an upper-tier turntable that allows you to play 33 1/3, 45, and 78 RPM albums. The Thorens represents a considerable investment, but the rotation speeds are consistent, the sound is fantastic, and this turntable will play all record speeds. It comes with a built-in pre-amp, so you can plug and play this item out of the box. Note that you will need to purchase a different cartridge to play 78 RPM records.
- Attractive design
- Consistent speeds
- Built-in pre-amp
- Automatic play arm return
- Separate cartridge required for 78 RMP records
Sony PS-LX310BT Belt Drive Turntable
- EASY OPERATION: Effortlessly enjoy your favorite records with one-step auto start, stop and return
- TWO SPEEDS: 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm, with the 45 rpm adaptor stowed neatly in a slot beneath the deck
- HIGH QUALITY AUDIO: Built in switchable phono output / line out phono preamp and 3 gain settings
- USB RIPPING: Rip vinyl records to digital MP3 files on your computer to take a favorite LP on the go
- WIRELESS CONNECTION: Connect to wireless speakers, headphones or other Bluetooth enabled devices
The Sony PS-LX310BT is a fully automatic belt drive turntable. The turntable features both Bluetooth and USB output so it’s easy to connect to virtually any speakers or headphones. The unit is minimal with a plain platform that has a platter and tonearm. The platter is die-cast Aluminum to reduce vibration and prevent the needle from skipping. RCA cables also are included to plug the unit directly into a stereo system. This is a good sounding turntable that is functional, inexpensive and easy to use.
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity
- RCA cables included
- Die-cast Aluminum platter
- Economically priced
- Unit is very lightweight
- RPM speed issues
Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable
- Concept Wood Turntable w/ Satisfy Carbon Tonearm (Silver) & Concept MC Cartridge
The Clearaudio Concept 3-speed turntable is a turntable for audiophiles who want the best. Note that the purchase price does not include a cartridge, so you won’t be able to play this unit right out of the box. The lack of a cartridge is a nice feature, however, because it allows you to personalize your turntable to your own preference. The body is both sleek and highly functional. There is a knob in the corner where you can select between RPM speeds of 33 1/3, 45 and 78. A very nice finish and consistent rotation speeds make this a good choice for anyone who wants their listening experience to be perfect.
- Plays 33 1/3, 45, and 78
- Consistent motor speeds
- Easy to operate
- Does not come with a cartridge
- Very expensive
REGA – Planar 1 Plus
- Entry-Level High-End
- Plug-and-Play Ease
- RB110 tonearm, built with patent-pending, ultra-low-friction, bespoke zero-play bearings
- Rega Carbon MM, supplied and fitted at the factory
- Stiffer headshell provides incredible usability and stylish appearance
The REGA Planar 1 is another turntable with a stylish, minimal design. It resembles a plain block of wood with a platter and tonearm. The tonearm is an RB110 with zero play bearings and ultra-low friction performance. The 24 Volt, synchronous motor reduces vibration and provides a consistent rotational speed. An on/off switch is situated in easy reach but out of view on the underside of the unit. This unit is available in gloss black and gloss white. There is no built-in preamp.
- Quiet, low vibration motor
- Stylish design with two color options
- High quality tonearm
- Dust cover
- No preamp
- No anti-skate
Best Automatic Turntables to Bring Music to Your Ears
Any of the products in our best automatic turntable survey will bring new life to your record collection and provide you with hours of listening enjoyment. We preferred the Thorens TD 170-1B Turntable for its great sound, nice design, and consistent play speed. We also liked that the Thornes was one of only two turntables in our survey with the capability to play 78 speed records but it is available at less than half the price of the other. For a more economical option, the wooden base of the Fluance Elite High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable looks and sounds great in any audio room. Get more enjoyment from your vinyl with the best automatic turntable.
Last update on 2021-04-19 at 12:42 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API